Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Tick...Tick...Tick

A couple weeks ago a friend asked me when Dave was leaving for deployment. My reply was “We have four weeks of fun planned.” That’s what we do, we think in terms of fun times we have left until deployment & again how much time must pass until we can once again enjoy fun times together.

A few days later Dave made a comment about “4 weeks of fun” and my heart stopped for a moment.

“You can’t say that. Soon it’ll be three weeks, then two…and I’ll become a little more sad every time the number changes. And soon enough I’ll be nothing but sad.”

So we haven’t been counting down. Instead we have enjoyed every moment for what it is: a chance to make a memory to help us get through what will be our longest deployment to date.

Our first adventure a few weeks ago was a road trip to visit Dave’s brother and his family in South Carolina. With any road trip, the objective is to “win”. In order to “win”, you must shave time off Garmi’s original projected arrival time. So here’s the conversation...

Dave: Look, I’m winning!
Me: Yeah, until you have to stop for coffee.
Dave: I would rather fall asleep and die than lose the game.
Me: But if you die, you pretty much lose.
Dave: No. The game will be over and I was winning before it ended, therefore, I still win.

Couple hours later I thought we needed to discuss the need to "win" again…

Me: Hey, babe, I need you to try really hard not to crash us.
Dave: Isn’t that always the goal?
Me: Well, I’m in Yoga Pants, with no underwear and would rather not have to change into a hospital gown at any point.
Dave: (look of disbelief) Well, that’s kinda your own fault.  Again.

There have been a lot of adventures since then, but today I just want to post one I have already written about because I’m just feeling sad: still in my robe, PJs, no bra, ordering pizza for dinner kinda sad.  I am feeling overwhelmed, but am so thankful for a husband who just says, “I love pizza babe. And the color of that robe is amazing on you.”


Am I a lucky girl or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment